Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March '11 Cookie Carnival: Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal Cookies


Last night I decided to make one of the March Cookie Carnival's cookies, Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal Cookies from Quaker Oats. I'm happy that I did. These cookies are soft and chewy and down right delicious. My kids raved about them.

Halfway through the recipe I realized that I was out of eggs. I decided to hit the Internet to see if I could find a reasonable substitute for the 2 eggs that the recipe called for. There are several dry substitutes out there but I wanted to add a wet ingredient for at least one of the eggs. Applesauce is a common substitute but I was also out of it. One recommendation was 3 tbsp. mayo. I knew that I had some in the frig. so that took care of one egg. I used 2 tbsp. cornstarch to substitute the other egg. I also read that no matter what you use as a sub., you should always add in two extra teaspoons of baking powder. I continued on with the rest of the recipe.

The recipe called for nuts but since my husband is not fond of nuts in cookies - but is really fond of raisins - it was a no-brainer to add raisins. Delicious! Like eating chocolate covered raisins in cookie form. :)


Here's my recipe including the substitutions I made:

Chocolate Brownie Oatmeal Cookies
original recipe

One  8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
8  tablespoons (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
1  cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2  cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/2  teaspoon vanilla
2  cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
3-1/2  teaspoons baking soda
3  cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1  cup raisins
 
In large bowl, beat cream cheese, margarine and sugars until creamy. Add mayo, corn starch and vanilla; beat well. Add melted chocolate; mix well.

Add combined flour and baking soda; mix well. Add oats and nuts; mix well.

Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are almost set. (Centers should still be moist. Do not overbake.) Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.

*Recipe Notes*

To melt chocolate chips, place in 1-quart glass measuring cup or microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Or, place in top part of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water; stir occasionally until smooth.

*My Notes*

The recipe calls for chilling the cookie dough beforehand. I skipped this step and just scooped and baked right after mixing it up. I couldn't tell the difference.

Store the cookies in sealed container or plastic bag. Best if eaten within 2 days.




Do you enjoy baking cookies? Join us today at the Cookie Carnival! Here's what you need to do.  I hope to bake with you soon!


Linking to:

Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
What's On Your Plate?

9 comments:

Tessa said...

They look great Tami. Glad your substitutions seemed to work - and good work figuring out a sub for the eggs!

Sue said...

This is the cookie I want to make! I need to get on it right away:) Yours look so good! Very industrious finding egg substitutions.

nirankar said...

Wow
Amazing blog to follow

I would suggest to follow my all friends and family to follow his blog .

One of the most vivacious blog i`ve ever seen .

Keep Posting
Best Restaurant

Anonymous said...

I am hoping to bake mine tomorrow, I dont think they will last more than 2 days, so no worries there!

cassy said...

im literally drooling.

thanks for sharing


http://cassylately.blogspot.com/

rebecca @ beurrista said...

These look fantastic!

Katrina said...

Love that you made the cookies without eggs and they look so good!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I wonder why some participants' cookies were so much darker than others? Got any theories?

Tami said...

My first thought was that it might just be the lighting in the pictures.

Maybe it has to do with the cocoa that was used or if someone added extra chocolate chips?

Not really sure. Anyone else have a theory?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...