Sunday, August 15, 2010

Brown Sugar Apple Topped Cinnamon Cupcakes


My husband loves apples in any form. I'm always searching for quick and easy apple recipes that I can whip up after dinner so that he can enjoy a sweet treat before leaving for work. (Yep, we're one of those non-traditional 3rd shift families.)

When I found a recipe for cooked apples, I knew right away that he would like it. It didn't disappoint, either.

Quite simple, too..... apples, butter and brown sugar. Comfort food at its best.


Cooked Brown Sugar Apples
by ewriggs

3 medium apples, peeled & sliced into 8 sections
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/2 stick butter or margarine

Melt butter in a non-stick pan. Set aside.

Peel apples. Slice each apple into 8 sections and then slice each section into thin strips. Cut all apple strips in half and drop into a bowl. Stir in 3/4 C. brown sugar. Mix apples and brown sugar until the apples are well coated.

Warm butter again. Stir in apples and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until the apples are soft and the sugar and butter start to get thick. Remove from heat and spoon into dishes. Serve immediately.

**My notes**  My apples were really juicy and ended up making the butter and brown sugar mixture a little too thin. I stirred in an extra 1/4 brown sugar while the apples were still cooking. That was all that was needed to thicken the syrup perfectly.

I served this apple topping over cinnamon cupcakes, which are simply a boxed white cupcake mix prepared accordingly with 3 TBSP of cinnamon + 1 tsp nutmeg added to the batter.

Delicious!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. That DOES look good. If your hubby likes apples, I just posted a Caramel Apple Cheesecake!

Pam said...

Yum! I'd love a serving of that right now! It looks delicious!

Tami said...

Thanks ladies! :)

I'm going to check out the cheesecake for myself. lol!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...