Monday, August 30, 2010

Trail Mix Brownie Bites


What do you do with those healthy trail mix bars that your kids (or at least my kids) won't eat? Do you shove them in the back of the pantry hoping that one day one of the kids will be starving and only find those to eat? I've come up with a better way to use them. Make these delicious, chewy brownie bites. They were a huge hit with my kids.

If you have your own homemade brownie mix and/or trail mix bars, you can certainly use them in this recipe but since I'm left with very little cooking time at home this week, I opted for a boxed brownie mix and boxed trail mix bars.


Trail Mix Brownie Bites

1 boxed brownie mix + ingredients from the box to prepare the brownies
2 chewy fruit and nut granola bars, broken into small pieces
1 C. mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 325*

Lightly spray a mini cupcake pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

Mix together brownies following the recipe on the box.

Add in granola and marshmallows. Stir well, until the granola and marshmallows are completely covered in the brownie batter.

Drop batter into mini cupcake cups, filling each cup 3/4 full.

Bake for 15 - 18 minutes. The batter in the middle will be slightly soft but will continue to bake after you remove them from the oven. Be careful not to over bake the brownie bites or you will end up with little stones on your hands. (Ask me how I know about that one.)

Once you remove the brownies from the oven, allow them to cool for 5 minutes. Carefully slide a knife around the outer edge of each brownie bite, loosening them from the cups. Allow to cool another 5 minutes and then remove them to a cooling tray.

Store in a sealed container or Ziploc bag to keep them soft and fresh.


I'm participating in Tasty Tuesday!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a good idea! I think I might make these for a cub scout campout that we attend this year since it includes trail mix. They will probably be surprised at the ingredients.

Unknown said...

We're good. Hope you guys are good.

We have our first campout a little while before Halloween so I will probably try them then.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...