Monday, March 30, 2009

Pizza Roll-Ups for Friday Family Fun Night

For the last few weeks we've been having "Friday family fun night" at our house. I usually blog about our Fridays on my other blog, but I wanted to comment on our dinner from last Friday.

My kids and I made pizza roll-ups using frozen bread dough and our favorite pizza toppings. Since my son had plans for a sleepover at school, we needed something for dinner that would be quick and easy to put together. This did the trick. :)

1 loaf of frozen bread dough = 6 big pizza roll-ups
pizza sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese
canned mushrooms - I know that some people hate these on pizza but they're a favorite here

Thaw the frozen bread dough on a baking sheet and covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator overnight.

Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before you are ready to make the roll-ups so that the bread can rise.

Roll the dough out into a large rectangle. Lightly cover with pizza sauce, making sure to go all of the way to the edges of the dough. Sprinkle cheese over the entire surface of the sauce. Top with your favorite toppings - in this case mushrooms.


Starting at one of the short ends of the dough, roll the it up tightly jelly roll style. Slice the loaf into 6 equal pieces (or if you want smaller roll-ups, cut it into 8 equal pieces). Lay the slices onto a greased baking sheet. Make sure to tuck the loose ends under so that the rolls stay together when they are baked. Place 3 inches apart on the sheet-do not crowd the rolls or they will stick together when they bake.

Bake at 350* for 40 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from baking sheet immediately.


This is a very kid friendly meal! They will not only like eating this version of their favorite pizza but I bet that they will want to get in there and help make it, too! I know that my kids had a fun time helping out.

We served these roll-ups with a simple salad with homemade balsamic dressing.


Simple Balsamic Salad Dressing

Whisk olive oil with a good quality balsamic vinegar @ 2:1, oil to vinegar - I used 1/2 C. oil & 1/4 C. vinegar.

Whisk in 1 tsp. of sugar, 1 -2 tsp. of Dijon mustard and 3 tsp. Italian seasoning blend.

6 comments:

Aleta said...

OMG I'm totally going to start having kids now so we can enjoy these.

Alright, seriously, what an awesome idea! Reminds me of cinnamon buns but like, for dinner. =)

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I've done something like these before and they were a huge hit. My kids like having some extra sauce on the side for dipping. Time to put those on the menu again!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Made these last night but I had trouble with them sticking to the OILED aluminum foil I had lined the pan with. All the cheese & sauce would come out the bottom and stick to the pan. How did you avoid that?

Tami said...

I'm sorry that they stuck! I sprayed a baking sheet with cooking spray, then just laid the cut rolls onto the tray. Maybe it helped because I removed them immediately from the tray? Could you have used too much sauce the it ran out on the bottom?

Lynne said...

What a great recipe! I'm trying this tomorrow.

Minny said...

I've made these using crescent rolls. They are quick & easy to make & you don't have to wait on the dough to rise. Just unroll the crescent rolls & pinch the perforations together so that the sauce doesn't leak out. Proceed as instructed above.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...