Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Apple Pudding

My husband reminded me the other night that I couldn't allow fall to go by without making apple pudding for him. I've been so caught up in searching out new recipes to try, I'd forgotten about one of his favorites.

I'm not sure where the name of this recipe came from because it's been handed down from generation to generation in his family. Even my mother-in-law wasn't sure were the name had originated. It's not a pudding at all....it's baked apples with a cake-like topping. Whatever the name, it's called comfort food filled with lots of memories to my husband.

For the best results, use Granny Smith apples--lots of them! In these pictures, I've used 4 really large apples but that wasn't nearly enough after they had cooked down. I would recommend using at least 8 (yes, really!) large Granny Smith apples. Pile them high in the pan (and over the top of it) because they will cook down.


Apple Pudding

8x8 dish
8 - lg. Granny Smith apples, sliced thin
1/3 – ½ C. sugar
3 tsp. apple pie spice

Preheat oven to 350*

Preparing Apples:
Slice apples thin and pile high in dish. Sprinkle with sugar & spices and set in oven so that the apples can start cooking while you are preparing the cake topping.

I made two errors right off the bat...I chopped up the apples instead of thinly slicing them and I didn't use nearly enough of them to (over)fill the pan. Oh well, we gobbled it up nonetheless.

Cake Topping

Sift together in a bowl:
1 ½ C. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt

Cream together in another bowl:
1/3c. sugar
¼ C. butter flavored shortening
1 egg, whipped

Alternate flour mix with ¾ c. milk into the creamed sugar mixture. Spoon on top of apples.

Bake for approx. 35 minutes or until light golden brown.

Enjoy!


8 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I've never heard of apple pudding - it looks delicious!

Kathy said...

Wow this looks great!! I will definitely give it a try!! Please stop by and visit my blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy does that look easy and yummy!!

Unknown said...

LOL, not sure about the pudding name, but it looks REALLY good none the less. I think I am going to try this within the next two weeks.
Thanks!

Prudy said...

I am so making this! One question-do you think I can use butter instead of the shortening? Let me know! It looks so delicious.

Tami said...

Prudy, I'm not sure if you can sub butter or not. I asked my MIL the same question when she first gave me the recipe. She always said to use it, so I've never tried changing it--but that's never stopped me before. lol! If you try it, please let me know if it works.

One more note I wanted to make, if the apples are really tangy, you might need to use more sugar. My MIL didn't cook with as many spices as I do so with that many apples, I would probably double the apple pie spices, too. Use your own judgement on what your family likes. :)

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments, ladies!!

Amanda said...

Wow Tami that looks awesome! I wish you would have remembered this recipe a week ago when I still had all those apples LOL

Prudy, I've ready everywhere that you can substitute butter for shortening of equal amounts, so it's worth a shot!

Beth said...

Yum!! I'm a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...