Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Cooking with Alicia & Annie ~ Baked Macaroni & Cheese Casserole

I'm finally able to sit at my keyboard and type once again. It's been a rough week for us at my house with everyone fighting Bronchitis. Finally I'm hoping that we are nearing the end of being sick! YAY!

I baked 2 whole chickens today so that I would have chicken for tonight's dinner and then enough to make a couple of other dinners over the next few days.

I found a really easy side dish called Baked Macaroni & Cheese Casserole from Annie's website that I'm going to post as an entry into this month's Cooking with Alicia & Annie Blog Event.





Annie's Original Recipe with my changes and notes below it:

1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked according to pkg. directions
1 pkg. Kraft sharp cheese, grated
1 can cream of chicken OR cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's)
Bread crumbs
Milk

Instructions:

Mix soup with 1 can of milk in a bowl.

Butter or spray a large casserole dish.

Put alternating layers of the macaroni, cheese, and the soup into dish. Top with bread crumbs.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Serves 6.

******

My changes and notes: I doubled the ingredients and followed the recipe "as is" using cream of mushroom soup. I didn't use the breadcrumbs on top because my family doesn't like casseroles topped that way. I only baked this dish for 45 minutes, and then I stuck it under the broiler for 3 minutes to brown it. I assumed that "one package" of cheddar cheese was one 8 oz block. When I make this again, I will add one more cup of chunked cheese to it. I will try it the next time with the cream of chicken soup.

Both of my kids loved this dish. They gave it rave reviews! My husband said that he liked it, too. I thought that the cream of mushroom soup was sort of overpowering in it and that it could've used more cheese. I'll be keeping this one on hand to make on those nights were you need a quick meal but don't have much on hand to throw something together. This dish contains the basic ingredients most of us have in our kitchens. You could even add some chopped chicken or tuna right to the dish and stir in a veggie...you would have a one dish meal. :)

8 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

Sorry you've all been sick. I'm sure this casserole was a hit - the perfect time for comfort food.

Tami said...

Hi Barbara :) Thanks for stopping by to say "hi". I've missed it here! One great thing about today's meal was that it was all in the oven baking while I was on the couch. lol!

Unknown said...

That looks like total comfort food! Perfect for when you are sick and need to feel more comfortable. Hope you are all better soon!

I like the idea of adding something else to it like a meat or veggie. I think it would be good with broccoli in it, or maybe even bacon pieces. If you used the cream of chicken, chicken pieces might be good.

You mentioned needing more cheese, so if I make this I will have to remember that as hubby will HAVE to have a lot of cheese. :)

MaierHousehold said...

Sorry to hear your household has been under the weather. Hope everyone is feeling up to par!

This recipe sounds delicious. I will definitely be giving this a try. Both of my girls LOVE mac & cheese!

Tami said...

The sun is shining brightly here today so I've opened the windows for a bit to air the place out!

My kids had a 1/2 day of school today due to parent/teacher conferences so they ate the leftover mac n cheese for lunch. :)

I love it when there's nothing left to throw away!

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I've had that recipe for years...my recipe calls for 1/3 cup milk and 2 cups (8 oz) cheese for every can of soup and 1/2 lb pasta. Also 1 tbl minced onion *yum*

I might have to make this soon! Thanks for the reminder.
And it IS great with tuna in it!

Amanda said...

I only tried homemade mac & cheese once and didn't like it. My family is stuck in the boxed rut. I may just have to try this!

Tami said...

That's funny, Amanda! It used to be that my kids would only eat the boxed stuff and Bill would only eat homemade mac & cheese, preferably with white cheddar cheese--it's next to impossible to find white cheddar here so he has learned to eat the other stuff! lol!!

My son just asked me to make this again this week. When I make it again, I'll use Barb's measurements. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...