Sunday, October 12, 2008

Cooking with Alicia & Annie Contest - Amish Funnel Cakes

We love to go to the fall festivals in the little towns around us. What I don't like is the price that they charge for a funnel cake! $5.00!! This recipe for Amish Funnel Cakes can be found at Annie's recipes. This batter makes the best funnel cakes that I've had in years, no kidding! The best part is that it doesn't cost me $5.00 to make this entire recipe! :)

I mixed the batter using the exact ingredients listed. This makes a lot of funnel cakes--probably at least 12 large. I made 8 and some batter left over. I'm refrigerating it and will try to use it again tomorrow night. (not sure if that will work?) I thinned the batter out a bit more with 2 tablespoons of water because I was using a measuring cup to pour the batter and not a funnel.

It doesn't say what kind of oil or how much of it to use. I used about a 1/2 in. of vegetable oil in a large frying pan.

Here is the recipe with the changes I've made:

Amish Funnel Cakes

3 eggs, beaten
2 c. milk
1/4 c. sugar
4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt


Instructions

To beaten eggs, add milk and sugar.

In separate bowl sift dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture, beating until smooth.

Heat oil to 375 degrees and pour batter into hot fat through a regular household funnel. Control the flow of batter by holding your finger over the bottom of the funnel. Make patterns, designs, swirls or whatever with the stream of batter as it flows into the hot fat.

When "cakes" are golden brown, drain on paper towels, and then sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and/or cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.

12 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I love funnel cakes - they remind me of summer, amusement parks and the fair - yum!

Tami said...

Me, too! Growing up, buying a funnel cake at the fair was the one thing that we always looked forward to. It was much more simple back then, huh?

Prudy said...

We used to make funnel cakes for my brother's birthday. He didn't like real cakes so we just plunked the candles down in the funnel cake. Aren't they so delicious?

The Blonde Duck said...

Funnel cakes are huge down here. Glad to know I can make them at home so they don't taste like sweet tacos! :)

Tami said...

Prudy, I think that it's wonderful that he could celebrate with the type of cake that he would enjoy! :)

Blonde Duck, I've had some bad funnel cakes but I don't think that I've had any that taste like sweet tacos. lol!! EEEWWW!! ;)

aleta meadowlark said...

Holy tasty-looking, Batman!

Mary Ann said...

I can't stand the price either! It is outrageous! How fun that you did this at home. They look wonderful!

Tami said...

Thanks for the comments, aleta and mary ann! :)

Isn't it crazy how they think that they can get away with those prices?!?

Alexa said...

What a fun post! I have never seen anything about funnel cakes anywhere except at fairs. Yours looks beautiful and yummy.

Tami said...

Thank you so much! Try making them. They are very easy to do. The first few might not turn out to look as pretty as the ones at the fair but they will taste great anyway! :)

Amanda said...

Fabulous Tami, we love funnel cakes too! I've always wanted to try them at home, so I'm really glad that these worked out. How did the batter do in the fridge overnight, did you end up trying it the next day? I have added your photo to the recipe here http://www.anniesrecipes.com/Recipe/2331/Amish-Funnel-Cakes.htm and I noticed that the link you have on your post isn't working, just an FYI :)

There's still 3 more days to enter, so feel free to make more recipes to increase your chances of winning!

Tami said...

Once again, I've fixed the link.

I didn't end up using the extra batter because I forgot about it. Hopefully someone else can let us know if it will work to store it overnight.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...