Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Greek Turkey Meatballs

I love, love, love, Greek food. I have a favorite Pork Soulvaki recipe that I turn to over and over again. Now I've found a second favorite recipe, Greek style meatballs, a recipe that I'm sure I will use over and over again.


Although the original recipes uses ground chicken, I used ground turkey. These meatballs are full of flavor and would be delicious made into burgers, as well. I didn't make the tzaziki sauce to go along with the meatballs but I know that it would be a delicious sauce on them.

These little gems are low carb, too! I can't wait to make this recipe into burgers and try them on an oopsie roll! (another recipe that I still haven't tried yet.)

Another excellent point was that my son and my husband thought that they were delicious. No way was my 6 yr. old going to try them but I'm thrilled that the other two liked them.

Here is the original recipe with any of my changes in bold next to it.

Spanikopita Chicken Meatballs
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 box frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (I used 1/2 of a 750 g bag of Europe's Best) (I used 1/2 of a 12 oz bag of frozen spinach - no specific brand...whatever happened to be on sale that week. )
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional) (I left it out but I'm going to try it next time)
1 lb ground chicken (I used 1 lb. ground turkey)
1 tbsp grill seasoning

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Defrost the spinach in the microwave, then place in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove all the excess water. Place in a large mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix really well. I didn't use feta because it made the recipe more expensive and I knew my husband and I wouldn't miss it. I've tried it with and without and both are delicious. If you too want to cut costs, don't worry...it's totally amazing without.

Roll into about 18 (1 1/2 inch) meatballs (I made 15 golf ball-sized meatballs) and place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with a little bit more olive oil and place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes, turn over and bake for another 10-14 minutes or until the meatballs are golden brown and cooked all the way thro.

**my notes**  This recipe would be great to make mini meatballs for soup or to make into burgers for oopsie rolls or low carb tortillas...or just plain on a plate with all of the fixins. Freeze any leftovers. 

12 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh wow I bet those were so good! I would definitely try them, but I guarantee NOONE here would. :( With all those fresh herbs poking out of the meatballs? No way. LOL

Fay said...

These look so good. I love Greek cuisine! I'm going to try this with some tatiki and one of my Ezekial pitas. ;) Do you mind if I post a link to this on my blog after I make them?

Aricka said...

These sound great! And I love that they are low carb (I gave up carbs for Lent and will be complaining)

Would love the recipe for the sauce to dip in too. I have a feeling in order to get my son to eat them, there will need to be a dip involved. lol

Vegan.Bohemian said...

WOW! Those look amazing!!! I'm going to try making them! Thanks for the great recipe!!! =D

Oh, one question??? What is grill seasoning? Thanks so much!

Tami said...

Hi Niki :)

The type of grill seasoning I use is Montreal Steak seasoning. If you look in the seasonings isle of most grocery stores you will many types of steak seasonings. I like the flavor of the one I use -- the only thing is that it does contain salt so make sure to adjust the salt content in your recipes or it could turn out to be too salty.

Happy Cooking!!
Tami

Vegan.Bohemian said...

Thanks Tami!
I love that seasoning too!!! I have some =D I'm going to try and make them this weekend! I love, love, love, feta and spinach together...I can't wait! Thanks again!
~Niki

R3 Method Show said...

Wow, I have never heard of these. I like to make brand new dishes on Sundays. Thanks!

Sara said...

These look great. Definitely going to try them soon - next time there's ground turkey on sale.

Linda said...

I missed the part about the meatballs...what is in the Europe's best bag? Thanks :)

Linda said...

I also forgot to check the email me the comment part lol on the Europe's best. Thanks again

Unknown said...

Hi Linda, I assumed that the brand name of spinach that the original blogger used was called "Europe's Best". I use 6 oz of whatever type of frozen spinach that I happen to have in the freezer. (that was on sale. lol!) I'm going to correct that in the recipe so that there is no more confusion. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Let me know if you like the meatballs if you make them. :)

Tami

Cheap Furniture Glendale said...

YUM! Can't wait to try this recipe. I love it when meat products are broken up with veggies or greens. It just adds a bit more texture and a lot easier to chow and digest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...