Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chicken & Dumpling Soup with Grilled Cheese Sammies

I made an easy, peasy meal today that everyone was more than happy with. I love it when dinner comes together easily and I still get rave reviews from my family.

We had a crazy fun afternoon cheering our Steelers on to victory!! Then we watched my dh's Jets go crazy and win their game, too! It was a great day for football!!

Ok....back to the food.

Growing up, my Mom used to make homemade flat dumplings to go into pots of soup or beans. I've always been a bit afraid to try making them myself. I've been told that homemade dumplings are so easy to make but now that I've found the next best thing, I'm not really eager to go through the trouble of making them myself. I've been using a frozen flat dumpling called Anne's old fashioned flat dumplings. These dumplings are so good!


Chicken & Dumpling Soup
12 C. of chicken stock or chicken broth
5 lg. carrots, diced into small pieces
2 celery ribs, diced very small -my family won't eat it any other way
2 C. of leftover cooked chicken
1 box of flat dumplings

Dump everything except dumplings into a pot. Bring to a rolling boil and then reduce heat to low, simmering for 45 minutes.

Turn the heat back up to high and bring soup to a boil once again. Drop dumplings into the soup, stirring frequently so that they don't stick together. Cook as directed on box. I broke the dumpling strips into thirds so that they weren't so hard to keep on a spoon when you are eating the soup.

Serve with grilled cheese sammies.

I used honey wheat bread and Colby-Jack cheese for the grilled cheese sandwiches. MMM! They were so good with the ooey gooey cheese dripping out of them!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...