You’ll wake up your taste buds when you bite into our version of an old-fashioned favorite. In this recipe, peanut brittle meets tongue-tickling spices for a great new taste. It’s quick and easy to whip it since it all cooks in the microwave!
What You Need
½ C. light corn syrup
1 C. white sugar
1 C. dry roasted peanuts
¾ tsp. Chinese 5 spice powder
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp baking soda
What You Do
1. Make sure to measure all ingredients carefully.
2. Very light grease a baking sheet with cooking spray or oil and set aside. Do not be tempted to oil the pan with a heavy hand because that will result in oily brittle.
3. In a large glass bowl that will fit into the microwave, stir together the corn syrup, sugar, peanuts and 5 spice powder until thoroughly mixed together.
4. Microwave on high for 6 minutes.
5. Stir in the butter and microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
6. Remove from microwave and gently stir in baking soda until the mixture is light and foamy.
7. Using a rubber spatula that has been sprayed with cooking spray, scrape the mixture out onto the greased baking sheet. Smooth out to a thin layer and allow to cool for at least 1 hour.
8. Once cool, break the brittle into pieces and store in a well-sealed container.
** You can easily omit the spices from the recipe for a plain version of peanut brittle.