Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hamburger Stroganoff

I needed a quick meal that included hamburger in the ingredients since that is what I had in our freezer that needed to be cooked. I didn't have enough hamburger for burgers and I wasn't in the mood for tacos, so I decided to search for something else. I finally decided on hamburger stroganoff. I didn't want to use cream-of-anything soup in it. After searching for a while, I decided to make up my own recipe. It was a really big hit with my family. YAY!



Hamburger Stroganoff
1 1/2 lb. hamburger
2 small cans of mushrooms, drained well OR
8 oz of sliced, fresh mushrooms - I would've used
fresh but I didn't have any on hand so I just used
canned.
onion powder to taste- again, I would've used diced onion
but my daughter hates onions and since she has a
mouthful of missing teeth, I wanted her to enjoy
eating without complaining all the way through
dinner. The onion powder did the trick.
garlic powder to taste
red pepper flakes (optional)
2 small cans of beef broth
cornstarch
Gravy Master
1/4 - 1/2 C. sour cream
1- 12 oz. bag of wide egg noodles, cooked and kept warm

Brown the hamburger and mushrooms together in a large frying pan. Drain off any excess fat, and then return the mixture to the frying pan.

Stir in 2 tsp. each of onion powder and garlic powder and 1 tsp. of red pepper flakes.

Pour in beef broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat.

Make a slightly thickened paste of cornstarch and 1/2 C. water - I didn't measure the cornstarch, I just kept adding it to the water until it was the consistency that I wanted. Slowly stir this mixture into the boiling broth until a gravy forms. You might not need to add the entire 1/2 C. of thickener.

Stir in 2 TBSP of Gravy Master.

At this point you need to do a taste test to see if you need to add more onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and/ or Gravy Master. I added a bit more of all of the above. Add it to your liking.

Cooking for 5 - 10 minutes to heat through.

Add egg noodles and stir together well. Stir in 1/4 - 1/2 C. sour cream, depending on your preference. I'm the only one who really likes sour cream so I only added 1/4 C. to ours....ssshhhh! I didn't tell them that it was in there.

Serve immediately. Crusty bread goes great with it!

4 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Tami- This looks and sounds like the perfect weeknight meal. Love the idea.. Your changes sound perfect. Come on over and enter my giveaway!

MaierHousehold said...

I will definitely be copying this recipe! I will be doing it without the mushrooms and will add diced onions.

Quick question...what is gravy master?

Tami said...

Thanks, Donna! I hope to make it to your blog tonight. I'm having one of those days where everything I touch seems to go haywire!

Kim, Here is a link for gravy master: http://www.gravy.com/. Hope you like the dish!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and make dollars from every visitor to your short links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...