Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chili Cheese Dog Tortilla Sticks

Yesterday I had to come up with a snack for my husband to eat while he was watching his JETS advance in the NFL playoffs. (insert boo, hiss and gag here since my Steelers didn't make it).

Since I usually go shopping on Sundays, there wasn't a whole lot left in the cupboards or frig.

I had chili on the stove cooking for dinner and a few hot dogs in the freezer--chili dogs came to mind but there wasn't any hot dog buns. I managed to dig up a pack of soft tortillas. I needed a "holder" for the chili and dogs so I figured that the tortillas would work.



These little sticks became a big hit with my family. I wrapped up what was left and stuck them in the freezer. They will work for a quick grab for lunches for the kids or for my husband.

Chili Cheese Dog Tortilla Sticks

8 boiled hot dogs
8 small soft tortillas
chili
shredded cheddar cheese
chopped onion

Layer the ingredients of your choice onto 1/2 of the tortilla, starting with the cheese, then chili, onions, and then ending with the hot dog.



 Do not over fill the tortillas or they will not stay closed. Start rolling up from the full side, making sure to tuck in the sides half way through.

Place the tortillas, seam side down, into a hot frying pan. Cook just one or two at a time so that you will have plenty of room to turn and brown the sticks on all sides. Watch the sticks carefully because they will brown very quickly. Remove to a plate.



Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and freeze to warm up in the microwave.

Wrap leftovers in foil and freeze to warm up in the oven.

These sticks can be sliced into pieces for little appetizer bites.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Very creative Tami!

kelly said...

mmmm looks yummy. i might have to make this for my kids for lunch one day...
I',m rooting for the cowboys

Tami said...

Thank, ladies!

Kelly, it's nice to see Tony finally getting his act together. It was a disappointing weekend for football here in my house...except for the JETS winning. I hated to see the Ravens and the Cardinals win. YUCK!

Niki Jolene said...

Yummers! My hubby would go nuts for these for sure.

:)

Bookmarked!

Tami said...

Hi Niki! I hope that you enjoy them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...