Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Amish Pumpkin Bread

Rainy days are good for baking. That's what set about my search for one of my husband's favorite desserts - pumpkin raisin bread. I found an Amish pumpkin bread recipe on Alicia's Recipes and decided to try it.




One nice thing about Amish recipes is that the ingredients are usually simple kitchen staples. I had everything on hand to make it.  My changes are in bold in the ingredients + I halved the recipe to make only one loaf.

Amish Pumpkin Bread


3 c. granulated sugar
1 c. vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 lb. canned pumpkin
3 1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. water
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt (scant)
1/2 tsp. ground cloves  - I used 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of all of these spices
1 tsp. EACH: cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
3/4 raisins to the batter

Instructions
Mix sugar, oil and eggs together. Add pumpkin. Then add dry ingredient and finally water, stirring just until mixed. Pour batter into two (2) greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for one (1) hour. Especially good spread with cream cheese.

The baked bread was a little dry on the outside but still moist on the inside. If I were to make it again, I'd add a little more liquid to the recipe.

** Note**  I added 7 minutes to the baking time to bring the middle of the loaf to "almost set". Do not bake it until the center is completely done or you will overcook the outside of the loaf.



I'm adding this recipe to the November Blog event at Cooking with Alicia & Annie. Give it a look and join in on the fun!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...