Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mini Diet Cola Cake Loaves

I love trying weird-sounding recipes. When I'm craving chocolate, lookout...I might try just about anything. I'd even take a chance on the new rage of chocolate covered bacon but I can't find it anywhere around us yet. (By now, you're either saying "HHHMMM" or "EEEWWW", right? Keep reading....this recipe isn't nearly as bad. I promise!)

When I saw a recipe for diet soda cake at Melody's Cheat Day Cafe blog, I knew that I had to try it.

I baked my cakes in mini loaf pans. I just took the first batch out of the oven and they look so good. I used a devil's food cake mix and diet cola. As an extra treat, I added 1/2 a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter. You can never have enough chocolate, right?


Here is my version of this recipe. I've posted the link to the original recipe below it.

Mini Diet Cola Cake Loaves
makes 6 mini loaves

1 box of chocolate cake mix
10 oz. diet cola soda
2 egg whites, lightly whipped

Combine cake mix diet cola, and egg whites. Mix together according to the box directions.

Spray a mini loaf spay with cooking spray and lightly flour.

Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one comes out clean. Keep a close eye on them so that they don't overbake.

Remove from oven. Go around the edges of each loaf with a knife to loosen the cakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing. Cool completely. Enjoy plain, with frosting or dusted with powdered sugar.

Here is the original recipe on Melody's blog.


**notes** I'm happy that I decided to add the chocolate chips to the cake mix. It kept the cake very moist. I didn't bother to add frosting or powdered sugar on any of the cakes. They were plenty sweet just plain. The cola taste is nonexistent. Although the cakes appear to be heavy and dense, they are not. They are light and airy.

These cakes would work great in lunch boxes. I'm thinking of making some ahead of time and freezing them.

There won't be any leftover from this batch to freeze. ;) Anything made out of chocolate doesn't have a long survival rate at my house.

If you try this recipe, please let me know what flavors you really liked or didn't like.

3 comments:

Melody said...

I glad you tried these! Adding chocolate chips was a great idea! I like your style! :)

Susan said...

Oh God...I have to make this! Thanks...

Anonymous said...

I've made this before (it's a recipe that circulates in Weight Watchers meetings). I bake it in a 9x13 pan and serve with Cool Whip. I love that this is a tasty, moist, easy recipe. I've only tried it with Devil's Food cake and Diet Coke or Diet Cherry Coke (doesn't really taste like cherry in the cake though). I've heard of using yellow or lemon cake and Diet 7-UP.

Chocolate chips sound like a great addition and making it in a mini-loaf pan is also a great idea! I'll try mini loaves or cupcakes next time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...