Monday, November 28, 2011

November SRC - Chicken with Rustic Balsamic Tomato Sauce


I can't believe that it's the end of November already! That means that it's time once again for our reveal party for Group D of the Secret Recipe Club.

I was paired with Kathleen's blog, Gonna Want Seconds. I knew from the first couple of minutes of thumbing through her recipes, that I was going to find many, many favorites to try. Her recipe for Chicken with Rustic Balsamic Tomato Sauce is a perfect match for my ways of cooking so I decided that would be my choice for the SRC.

Like Kathleen, I do not peel nor seed tomatoes unless it's absolutely necessary - and then it better be for a worthwhile cause. hahaha! This is a one pan dish so full of flavor. I made a couple of changes - I couldn't find decent plum tomatoes anywhere so I subbed two containers of grape tomatoes, which worked perfectly fine. I also left out the Rosemary because I thought that I had some in my freezer but I didn't and I didn't feel like running back to the store before dinner. I'm sure that the fresh Rosemary would add even more wonderful flavor to this dish. I left out the shallots because my family doesn't care for them. I love balsamic vinegar and the reduction in this recipe is fantastic when cooked with the tomatoes.

I served the chicken over rice but egg noodles would work nicely, too. If you want a lighter meal, serve the chicken with a side salad.


Chicken with Rustic Balsamic Tomato Sauce

4 tsp olive oil-divided
4-5 skinless boneless chicken breast - I used a 2.5 bag
2 tbsp fresh rosemary-chopped - I omitted
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 c. shallots-chopped - I omitted
3 tbps  garlic-minced
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
6 plum tomatoes-diced - I used 2 pints of grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 c.chicken broth
1/4 tsp sugar - I added it
1/4 c. fresh basil-chopped


Heat 2 tsp oil in a large pan.  Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.  Add to skillet and brown on both sides.  Transfer the chicken to a platter.

Add 2 tsp oil to the pan.  Lower the heat and add garlic. Cook about two minutes, stirring often.

Add the vinegar, stirring to scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the vinegar is almost evaporated.

Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth and sugar. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Add chicken back to pan, turn to cover with sauce.  Continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in basil.

Serve over rice or egg noodles. For a lighter meal, serve the chicken with a side salad.

Here's how you can join us in the Secret Recipe Club!  

25 comments:

Jenn said...

Checking in from SRC...this looks awesome! I think it would be a hit at my house.

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

Got here through SRC - this looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Yum! I've never tried balsamic vinegar before, but this recipe sure makes me want to try it now. I'm from your group D bloggers and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm following your blog now. :)

SallyBR said...

Perfect choice, love this recipe, balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients!

plus, I love anything "rustic" ;-)

The Double Dipped Life said...

This looks fabulous! I love balsamic vinegar. Yum!

Katie|Epicurean Mom said...

Rustic Balsamic Tomato Sauce?? Oh my! That is PERFECT for me! All the things I love!! Yum!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Tami,

All of the ingredients in this chicken recipe sound like a wonderful combination. I need more chicken recipes with tomatoes and this is it! Like you, I don't see tomatoes either and have found that the flavor is still delicious! Now following you and hope you will choose to do so too. Thanks for hosting SRC Group D! Roz

Karen S Booth said...

What a FABULOUS recipe! I came here via the SRC blog hop and I LOVE Balsamic Vinegar, so this looks like a wonderful dish for me to try!
Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

Megan @ cookingwhims said...

I love easy chicken dishes---and I think chicken paired with tomatoes and basil is always a hit!

Unknown said...

You have a great site Tami! This recipe looks so tasty. Anything with balsamic vinegar and tomatoes (seeded or not) is right up my alley!

Jenna @ Newlyweds said...

Wow this looks delicious, I love all the ingredients in this recipe, I am pinning it now.

Baking Addict said...

This looks really tasty and filling. I wish I could come to yours for dinner :) Thanks for being a great hostess to my first SRC. Look forward to more next year as I will be taking a break for Dec.

Kirstin said...

Yum! This sounds yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Unknown said...

tomatoes = good. balsamic = good. pasta = good. um, yes please.

Kelley @ The Culinary Enthusiast said...

Thanks for being a great hostess! This looks good. Always love pasta dishes even more when the weather turns colder.

Asmita said...

Perfect for dinner. Love the recipe!

Kate @ Food Babbles said...

Tami, this recipe looks so delicious! I love balsamic vinegar so I think this will be something I need to make in the very near future. Yum!

Avril said...

What a wonderful looking dish Tami! Great choice for your SRC recipe!!!

Shirley said...

Looks like a great combination! Good choice for SRC!

Anonymous said...

YUM! This meal looks so delicious, Tami! I love how flexible it is as well!

Rituparna said...

That chicken looks delicious and it is perfect for a quick dinner.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really is a lovely recipe. I am new to your blog but I plan to return. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I enjoyed the time I spent here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Jocelyn said...

This definitely sounds like comfort food for sure!!! I will have to try out some balsamic vinegar sometime!!!

Erin Stomber said...

I love chicken and I'm always looking for new ways to make it. This looks great!

nicole @ I am a honey bee said...

wow! I have just about everything on hang to make this at anytime! And I know can I adapt it or quickly run out for something. looks goog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...