Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chocolate Malted Brownies


These chocolate malted brownies are an old timey recipe that will take some back to their younger days. One of the main ingredients is chocolate malt powder, aka Ovaltine. In some ways I feel like I missed out on something since we never drank Ovaltine as kids. We were strictly a Nesquik family. lol!

The recipe is from the cutest little cookbook called "Mary Engelbreit's Cookie Cookbook". I picked it up at our local thrift store a couple of weeks ago. In true Mary Engelbreit style, the cookbook is decorated with lots of colorful, playful pictures, along with real pictures of the recipes. To me, it was a nice find for 99 cents.

There's a nice, light, chocolately malt flavor throughout the brownies but it's the "icing" that really makes the brownies good. It's more of a thin sauce than an icing and it flows down into the nooks and crannies of the brownie almost turning it into a molten lava cake. The sprinkles are my daughter's touch. Everything just tastes better to her when there are sprinkles on it. :)


Chocolate Malted Brownies
from Mary Engelbreit's Cookies Cookbook

Brownies

1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. malt powder, such as Ovaltine
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. unsalted butter, at room temp.
1 c. sugar
2 lg. eggs
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

Glaze

4 oz. milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. malt powder
1 1/2 tsp. light corn syrup

Preheat oven to 350*

Line a 9 inch square pan with foil and grease the foil.

For Brownies:

In a med. bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

In a small bowl, stir together milk, malt powder and vanilla. Set aside

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in eggs.

Slowly add in flour, alternating with the melted chocolate and milk mixture. Beat until well blended.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

For glaze:

In a small saucepan, mix together chocolate, cream, malt powder and corn syrup. Stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat and cool until thickened but still pourable. I did this step in the microwave.

Place a cutting board on top of the brownie pan, invert, remove the pan and carefully pull away the foil. Turn the brownies right side up. I skipped this step. Pour the glaze over and spread it evenly to cover the top of the brownies. Sprinkle with candy sprinkles, if desired. Let stand until set.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

OMG!!! Those look sooooo good!!! I've got to try those. I would like to participate in some of the food blogging parties but, my pictures never look good and you plate stuff so well. Do you use a special lens or have any advise for me?

I also wanted to tell you that I'm shutting down "A Well Dressed Home" and have started one called "Tuscan Cabin". If you'll click on my picture you'll see it on my profile. I would love to have you to continue to follow me there.

Hope your having a great weekend so far.

XOXO
Theresa

dentist 90048 said...

Ohhh that's what Ovaltine is for! Lol. I'm so tired of making box brownies, they taste good but always the same, time to mix it up with this recipe!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...