Saturday, January 22, 2011

Portobello Spaghetti Bake


I adapted this recipe from an old issue of Cooking for 2 that I bought last summer at a thrift store that sells magazines for 10 - 25 cents each. For the last month I have been sorting through many, many magazines that I have had stored away here and there. I've made it a mission to sort through them, keeping only the recipes that I want. I've been giving away bags of the magazines that I didn't use or hardly used. One less thing cluttering my space now!

Here is the original recipe. Keep in mind that the recipe is for only 3 servings. I need most of my recipes to feed 4 people, including a growing teenager!, and then have enough leftover for my husband's lunch.

Portobello Spaghetti Casserole
original recipe from Cooking for 2

Ingredients

4 ounces uncooked spaghetti
3 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1-1/4 cups marinara sauce
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions

Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, salt and pepper in oil until mushrooms are tender; drain.
  
In a large bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley, flour, garlic powder and pepper flakes. Drain spaghetti; add to sour cream mixture. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with mushrooms and marinara sauce.
  
Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 3 servings.

** My version **

Portobello Spaghetti Bake

Ingredients
1 1/2 lb uncooked spaghetti
3 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
and thinly sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c. chicken broth
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp minced garlic in olive oil
3 eggs
1 c. sour cream
5 tbsp Parmesan cheese
6 tbsp flour
4 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp minced garlic in olive oil
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
4 cups red spaghetti sauce
1 3/4 c. shredded Italian cheese


Directions

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.

While the spaghetti is cooking, saute the mushrooms in oil and chicken broth. Sprinkle on 2 tbsp Italian seasoning & 1 tbsp minced garlic. Saute until mushrooms are tender.


In a large bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, flour, remaining Italian seasoning and garlic and pepper flakes. Drain spaghetti; add to sour cream mixture. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.


Top with spaghetti sauce and mushrooms


Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes.


Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
 

Allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.



3 comments:

Tiffiny Felix said...

Yum! Can you taste the sour cream? I love mushrooms...I'd probably have to double the amount :)

Tami said...

Hi Tiffiny!

No, you can't taste the sour cream at all. The next time that I make it I will double the mushrooms, too. Even my kids love them. I would suggest adding another cup of sauce to it, too. Once it sat for a little while, the pasta seemed to suck up the sauce. It was still really good, though. :)

Unknown said...

I recently just started to cook a little more than normal, I love to bake but I have been learning new food recipes and everything on your page right now looks amazingly delicious! I might have to try one or a few of these recipes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...