Thursday, January 6, 2011

Chicken Eggs Rolls

This was my first time making egg rolls. For some reason, I've always thought that it would be much more complicated that it was. This recipe is really easy and it leaves lots of room to play with different ingredients to change the flavors. I used chopped chicken in place of the usual pork or shrimp because that's what I had on hand. You could even make these totally vegetarian and not miss the meat at all.


Chicken Egg Rolls

1 package egg roll wrappers
1 - 16 oz - package of coleslaw
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tbsp fresh grated garlic
2 tsp sesame oil
1 c. cooked chicken breast, cubed into very small pieces

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Add 2 tbsp oil to a frying pan. Toss coleslaw mixture into the frying pan and heat until the cabbage has softened. Stir continually to avoid any sticking. Remove from heat. Cool for 5 minutes.

Unwrap egg roll wrappers. Lay one wrapper flat on the table facing you in a diamond shape. Brush outer edges with water. Add 1/3 c. of filling to the center of the egg roll wrapper.


Fold one end to the center of the wrapper. Fold the left and right edges in on each side. Roll up, making sure all edges are sealed. I ended up with 13 egg rolls.


Deep fry the egg rolls in 3 inches of oil. Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side. Watch carefully as they will brown very fast. Remove from oil onto a plate lined with paper towels. 

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Gizala said...

Sounds very straight forward and yummy indeed. Any suggestions on baking the egg rolls instead of frying, i.e. oven temp, baking time?

Tami said...

Hi Gizala,

Funny you should mention this, I told my husband that I was going to try baking these rolls the next time that I make them.

The directions on the egg roll wrappers suggest baking at 400* for 10-12 minutes. Lightly grease the baking sheets before placing the rolls on it and brush the tops of each roll with olive oil.

I will probably turn them half way through baking.

If you try them this way, please let me know how they turn out. :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! Those look delicious. I love eggrolls!

Gizala said...

Thanks, I put the recipe on my to-make list for this week!

William Rey Ong said...

I will try your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Visit my website

Cherie's Sewing Corner said...

Thanks for sharing they look good.

kim said...

Do you have the recipe for crab rengoon?I love them.I love the fried pickle recipe you have they are so good. Thank you for sharing your recipes. I have been needing something different and good to cook. Do you also have a recipe for the saltine crackers that you shake in a ziplock with the hot sauce and different things. I ate some of those at a party but didnt have a chance to find who made them.sillshill.blogspot.com

Tami said...

Hi Kim!

I cant help with a crab rengoon recipe. I can't say that I've ever eaten it. Sorry! Maybe someone will come to the rescue after seeing your request here. :)

I'm glad that you like my fried pickles! We love those things. ;)

You have piqued my interest with the hot saltine crackers. I did a search but so far I've only found saltine recipes using hot pepper flakes, not hot sauce. If you get the recipe, please let me know!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Cherie, William and Gizala, I hope that you enjoy the egg rolls! I made them again last week only this time I baked them instead of deep frying them. I asked my family which they liked better - my husband and kids both said that they loved them cooked either way. They must have because there's been no leftover either time. In my opinion, though, I like them better deep fried. The baked ones were good but a bit drier.

Tami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...