Saturday, November 14, 2009

Chicken Chimis & Haluski (Cabbage & Noodles)

We eat a lot of chicken. It's one thing that I can be sure of that my family will eat & enjoy. I'm always on the lookout for interesting new ways to prepare it.

I found this recipe for chicken chimis on Recipes of a Cheapskate. Simple recipe and very versatile -you can change this recipe around to include your family's favorites. My family enjoyed them. I will make them again and also make extras to stick in lunches.

My version:

Chicken Chimis

2 C. shredded chicken
1 1/2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
salsa
2 - 8 ct. cans crescent rolls


Roll out crescent rolls. Divide rolls into squares using 2 triangles for each square. Pinch seams together.

Top crescent squares with 1 TBSP of salsa on each, making sure to not touch the edges with the salsa. Evenly divide and sprinkle the cheese over all of the squares. Top all with shredded chicken.



Fold both ends of crescent square into the middle and seal the seam well. Seal the ends of each square, too.

Lay seam side down on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes at 350*.



Top with sour cream, if desired.

Haluski

This Polish-Slovakian dish of fried noodles and cabbage, is another Pittsburgh regional favorite.

Like peirogies, this is another dish that I grew up eating. There are many different versions of this recipe out there. I like mine made with noodles and cabbage. Some people like to add cottage cheese to it.

1 small head of cabbage
1 lb egg noodles
butter or margarin
black pepper

Cook the egg noodles and drain well.Set aside to cool

Cut cabbage into bite-size pieces. I boil the cabbage until fork tender -- some people like to add it to the frying pan and cook it in butter or margarine until it is tender. If boiling the cabbage, drain well once it is tender.

Melt 1/4 C. of butter in a frying pan. Add cabbage and noodles. Stir to coat with butter. You might have to add another 1/4 C. butter --not exactly a healthy dish but it's so good! Sprinkle on black pepper to your liking - I tend to add a lot of pepper.

Fry until heated through. I like it a little crispy so I cook mine a little longer.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

Victoria said...

I grew up with a Ukrainian Pappy, we had pierogi often, and I love Huluski! I am from Central PA! We don't add cottage cheese to ours and for pierogi we stuff ours with a potato and saurkraut mixture! yum!

Anonymous said...

I love this. I made it with the pasta, bowties, and it is yummy. I did not know it had a name. Thanks for filling me in.

Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

I use the crescent roll squares and shredded chicken to make puffs - except I put cream cheese and butter over the chicken and it's really good :-)!

I'm hungarian - and my grandma used to make these noodles when I was little - you just made me want to try making a batch myself! Thanks! I didn't realize how simple it really is!

Courtney
http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

We eat a lot of chicken too and I can't wait to try this recipe...it looks so good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...